Clicky

US Moving Nukes to UK to Counter Russia
Connect with us

on

The United States is planning to station nuclear weapons in the UK for the first time in 15 years as the threat from Russia increases, Pentagon documents seen by The Telegraph reveal.

Procurement contracts for a new facility at RAF Lakenheath in Suffolk confirm that the US intends to place nuclear warheads three times the strength of the Hiroshima bomb at the air base.

The US removed nuclear missiles from the UK in 2008, judging that the Cold War threat from Moscow had diminished.

The disclosure comes in the wake of warnings that Nato countries need to ready their citizens for war with Russia.

Last week, Adml Rob Bauer, a senior Nato military official, said that private citizens should prepare for all-out war with Russia in the next 20 years that would require wholesale change in their lives.

General Sir Patrick Sanders, the head of the British Army, went on to warn that the public would need to be called up to fight if there was war with Russia because the Army was too small. His comments forced Downing Street to rule out conscription.

Boris Johnson on Friday night backed Sir Patrick’s call for a citizen army, as he pledged to sign up if the UK went to war with Russia.

The US navy secretary, Carlos Del Toro, then urged Britain to “reassess” the size of its armed forces. On Friday, No 10 defended the Government’s military spending, pointing out that “the UK is the second biggest defence spender in Nato and the largest in Europe”.

The return of American weapons to the UK is part of a Nato-wide programme to develop and upgrade nuclear sites in response to heightened tensions with the Kremlin in the wake of the February 2022 invasion of Ukraine.

Russia has stated that the placement of US weapons in Britain would be viewed by Moscow as an “escalation” and would be met with “compensating counter-measures”.

As well as the conflict in Ukraine, the West is facing rising challenges from Iran and North Korea, which have both grown closer to Moscow in recent years.

On Friday, Britain, France and Germany condemned Iran for launching a new satellite to guide long-range missiles. Tehran is enriching uranium for possible use in developing nuclear weapons.

The US and UK have also been carrying out air strikes in the Red Sea against Yemen’s Houthi rebels, the Iran-backed militia which have been attacking container ships in purported retaliation for Israel’s military offensive in Gaza.

Echoes of the Cold War

Unredacted documents on the US department of defence’s procurement database reveal plans for a “nuclear mission” that will take place “imminently” at RAF Lakenheath, where nuclear weapons were stationed during the Cold War.

The Pentagon had refused to comment on speculation that a new “surety dormitory”, first revealed in budget documents last year, was intended for the base, which is run by the US Air Force under British regulations and laws, to allow the US to house tactical nuclear weapons that can be deployed by F-35 fighter jets.

The term “surety” is used by the Pentagon to refer to the need to keep nuclear weapons safe when they are not being used.

The documents show the Pentagon has ordered new equipment for the base, including ballistic shields designed to protect military personnel from attacks on “high value assets”. Construction on a new housing facility for American forces working on the site will begin in June.

RAF Lakenheath is expected to house B61-12 gravity bombs, which have a variable yield of up to 50 kilotons – more than three times the power of the atomic weapon dropped on Hiroshima in 1945.

Following the outbreak of the war in Ukraine, a Pentagon review of the US’s nuclear posture said it served as a “stark reminder of nuclear risk in contemporary conflict” and warned of “nuclear threats to the homeland and US allies and partners”.

President Joe Biden said that the US would “enhance our force posture in Europe to respond to the change in the security environment”.

The US has already announced plans to station two squadrons of fifth-generation F-35 fighter jets, which have the ability to carry the bombs, with the 48th Fighter Wing at RAF Lakenheath.

In October, US officials requested permission from Congress to begin development of a new B61 bomb with a higher payload, arguing that more powerful weapons would “provide the president with additional options against certain harder and large-area military targets”.

The documents revealing the decision to station nuclear warheads in the UK were posted on a US government procurement website.

One notice, posted in August, requested a private-sector contractor to provide sentry cabins and shields to protect troops in the base’s 48th Security Forces Squadron from “forced entry and ballistic attack” from assault rifles on the nuclear weapons site.

“The 48th Security Forces Squadron upcoming nuclear mission is required to operate under ballistic protection,” it said.

A second contract, published on Tuesday, advertised for hydraulic ramps for unloading vehicles, noting that the new F35s and “the imminent surety support” had “highlighted the need to replace these much-required facilities”.

In response to a US budget document outlining plans for the $50 million (£39 million) dormitory for surety personnel at RAF Lakenheath last year, Maria Zakharova, a Russian foreign ministry spokesman, said that Moscow would respond to the return of US nuclear weapons on British soil with “counter-measures”.

“If this step is ever made, we will view it as escalation, as a step toward escalation that would take things to a direction that is quite opposite to addressing the pressing issue of pulling all nuclear weapons out of European countries,” she said.

“In the context of the transition of the United States and Nato to an openly confrontational course of inflicting a ‘strategic defeat’ on Russia, this practice and its development force us to take compensating countermeasures designed to reliably protect the security interests of our country and its allies.”

The construction of the site could also be subject to legal challenge by the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament, which argues that the Ministry of Defence did not conduct required environmental impact assessments before approving the development.

The US currently has warheads stationed in Belgium, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands and Turkey, under a Nato nuclear-sharing arrangement.

A Pentagon spokesman said: “The United States routinely upgrades its military facilities in allied nations. Unclassified administrative budget documents often accompany such activities.

“These documents are not predictive of, nor are they intended to disclose any specific posture or basing details.

“It is US policy to neither confirm nor deny the presence or absence of nuclear weapons at any general or specific location.”

Read 23 Comments
  • L'Angelo Mysterioso says:

CORRECT, Leslie. Ridiculous, Stupid, & TOTALLY unnecessary. But, see, Rootin’ Tootin’, Gol’ Durn Putin likes to play chess…..especially against a decrepit, brain-dead “world leader” like Ol’ Scramblebrains. Wonder how bad Joey’ll fuck this one up?

• A different Guest says:

Putin’s so good at chess that a invasion he declared a two week ‘special operation’ has already killed over 300,000 of his people, taken 2 years and managed to lose over 60% of the land he originally invaded.
      Putin might like to play chess, but he’s not playing Biden, he’s playing the Ukrainians and they are much better than he is. His mighty ‘invincible’ army is in tatters. All he can do now is fire North Korean shells and missiles and Iranian drones at Ukraine.
      A chess master he’s not. I don’t know why you keep thinking he is. The last 2 years have proven the monster has no clue what he’s doing.
      Biden isn’t even sitting next to the board. But don’t be surprised if he stumbles over and tips it the wrong way.

• Tom says:

Yea, Ukraine is winning this so much they are now crying for us to hand over our A-10s for them to end up getting destroyed. They sill have weapons sent that are not accounted for right now.

• A different Guest says:

Who said Ukraine is winning? Always interesting to see how people rationalize using Democrat style strawman arguments.
          I’d say the fact that Ukraine has done more damage to the Russian war machine than anyone in the last century gives a pretty good accounting of where those weapons have gone.
          But like a Democrat, don’t let facts get in your way.

• GUEST 2 says:

No body wants to read your rambling about Russia All The Time Non Fucking Stop ! You tell Lie after Lie while at the Same Time You Ask Them For Proof of What They Said ! If you think that Biden’s okay to put Nuclear Weapons In The UK To Threaten Russia on behalf of Ukraine, then you are just as Brain Dead Than Biden! As of now, you have been posting on this article for over 8 hours ! You sit around waiting to attack someone’s post ! WHY DON’T YOU GET A FUCKING LIFE YOU TROLL ! (A different guest or RBach or Ron or whatever you call yourself today)

• Anita says:

Wow! GUEST2, I really don’t understand your post. I’m not being rude or disrespectful at all, I just would like to know where your anger is coming from and why.

I have engaged with Ron, RBach, A different Guest several times. They know that I don’t see everything the way they do. I have admitted that my knowledge of Putin, and Ukraine is not the same as theirs and therefore I do consider what they post. However, considering has not changed my mind. I also believe that more than one fact can be true in any circumstance.

I will tell you that for at least 20+ years I have believed that the combination of China and Russia were and are the biggest threat we face. Given the now add ons of Iran and North Korea there is a level of fear I experience that has me paying greater attention to who is entering AMERICA every single minute of every single day for the last 3 years. Maybe your anger would be better served pointing at the real threats, our own leadership and their relationships with these countries. Just a thought.

• GUEST 2 says:

My anger comes from these few assholes that continuously attack anyone who doesn’t agree with their Russia BS ? If you can’t see or figure that out then I’m sorry. Every Single Time Someone post something negative about Ukraine This Guy attacks them. Like I said the first time, this different guest posts something and he sits around for Days Waiting For Someone to Disagree With Him so He can call them a Putin lover ! If you like his BS so much talk to him, Not Me !

• RBach says:

Of course G2. Anyone who doesn’t agree with you is attacking you. By pointing out your damn lies. You’re the dumfuk that went on the attack against ADG. He didn’t mention you, wasn’t replying to you. Then you whine that you’re being attacked by him. Not a friggin thing you said made sense. Dam psycho. Get some mental help. If you were anymore fullashit we’d have to call a septic tank company. You didn’t answer a damn question she asked about the damn crap you support. You know, like what to do about the countries that hate us. I didn’t see in this whole string where ADG attacked anyone. Hell, the guy or gal didn’t even attack you after you attacked him with your unhinged BS. And whatinhell is this Russia BS. You can’t ever show any of it wrong just your crazy cacklings and cussin out people.
            Looking up the number for a septic tank pumping company now. Can you give us your address?
            Now, I got some Ukrainian guests here for dinner. Can’t be a dipshit and ignore them like you want to do.
            PS, your idiot ass mentioned me above so don’t say you didn’t bring my response on yourself.

• A different Guest says:

I think RBach has said he lived in Russia or Ukraine or both. II don’t recall what Ron has said on the subject, I think he’s a WWII war buff. He talks a lot about how the politicians are acting like they did before WWII.
            I have my own knowledge of how things work. I side with the majority of Republicans in Congress on the matter.
            We have serious threats internally. They are getting worse every day. We live in a representative Republic/Democracy. A hybrid and the only one like it ever in the history of the world.
            Quoting you “I will tell you that for at least 20+ years I have believed that the combination of China and Russia were and are the biggest threat we face.” If you were a carpenter you’d hit the nail on the head regularly. That is very true. Unfortunately, now, with the current administration’s bumbling, we find North Korea and Iran added into that Axis of evil.
            As to Guest2 I don’t know what his problem is. I’ve seen some of his other rants which make no sense. He believes, like Democrats, if he shouts loud enough, uses enough profanity he can make some sort of definitive point. He has truly succeeded. He’s made the point that he has absolutely naught to add to any civil discussion. That I and a few others here agree substantially mean we are in the minority. Although, occasionally, I see others make very salient thought provoking commentaries.
            I don’t really disagree, perhaps others do, with what you say. We are indeed strapped for cash. This administration has royally bolluxed the matter. Had JRB handled this properly Putin would be at home executing generals and any others he blamed rather than still devastating mile after mile of Ukrainian lands, destroying entire cities killing civilians deliberately while calling them military targets.
            And all that Guest2 can add to the conversation other than profanity and insults is, well, nothing.

• A different Guest says:

Once again, you go through one of your hysterical rants ‘LIE LIE LIE’ yet you never once actually challenge anything I ssid with evidence that I or anyone else like Rbach (who has not as kindly and tolerant disposition as I). You also respond to many things I didn’t say. If you hadn’t noticed, this story is about Russia. Ergo, responses should be about Russia. It’s also about Biden. I made my observation on that available too.
          The UK has 225 nukes. Adding US nukes to that makes little difference. It’s not a threat. Is putting a security system up for all to see a threat? Is letting everyone know you’re armed if they choose to attack a threat? No, it’s a warning. Russia, as I said, just last week DID threaten to nuke cities of those helping Ukraine. Had Biden chosen to put those nukes in Ukraine I would indeed think he was crazy. Correction, I already know the man is crazy, I would revise my assessment as to how crazy.
          And, lest I err on this, you who decry how you would be attacked for your words, just wrote a diatribe that was solely an attack and used your requisite profanity.
          That I and others point out facts about Russia drives you into a rage. Does it somehow cause your income to receive deductions? What is it that brings out such rage?
          If anyone is becoming tired, they’re becoming tired of your baseles rage.

• Anita says:

Quick question A different Guest, and no I’m NOT picking on you. Isn’t even scarier that Putin, is a failure as far as Ukraine is concerned? My point is this, if he’s not a strategic chess player, IF he’s in fact an aging, not well (per some reports), former KGB agent, communist, dictator who is a bitter, angry and vengeful child having a temper tantrum should we not BE frightened? For myself that is far more dangerous. He’s proven himself a psychopath who isn’t afraid to murder innocents, including his OWN people to get what he wants. Head’s up, I believe the same can be said of Zelensky.

Just a question. Both things can be true. However, as bad as I believe the situation is that’s developing daily between Russia, China, Iran and North Korea. Absolutely NOTHING compares to the President of these United States.

• A different Guest says:

Putin is indeed, not strategic chess player. When I was younger I regularly played chess. The chess champion, who at the time smoked excessively, played me in a game where I was unable to beat him nor he I. As such he went into a rage at a stalemate. I don’t recall playing chess since.
          This is not the way to handle wars. It’s not a matter of ego. It’s the lives of millions. Should Putin win in Ukraine he has already said that he plans to retake all of the lands of the former Russian empire to rebuild the same.This cannot be allowed. Kowtowing to bullies, thieves and extortionists only encourages more of the same. Look at our liberal cities who have followed an appeasement of criminals. We cannot allow this.
          While Ukraine is not winning, other than from the aspect of not having lost their lands and indeed recovered much, is not accurate. It’s also not accurate to say that Russia is winning. They’ve had devastating losses in men and weapons. No other nation on earth has ever thrown so many into a war and have such massive losses and continue on.
          A defeated Putin is a vengeful Putin. You don’t know what he may do. However, we do indeed know what an empire building maniacal warlord like Putin will do should he win. It may take him a few years, but he will be back.

• Josh says:

I would only add that it is completely absurd to include this article as news.

• ⬇️ Top Picks for You ⬇️

American Ballerina Detained for “High Treason” in Russia

on

Vladimir Putin’s secretive Federal Security Service has arrested a dual Russian-American ballerina on treason charges, officials confirmed Tuesday.

Videos posted by a Russian news agency shows 32-year-old Ksenia Karelina being led into a courtroom in handcuffs and with her eyes blindfolded. It’s not clear when the video was recorded.

Karelina is a resident of Los Angeles who became a US citizen in 2021. Her social media pages are littered with photos of her smiling, loving life in the US.

Karelina was arrested on January 27. The apprehension took place outside of a movie theater in Yekaterinburg. The initial charges related to swearing offenses.

Yekaterinburg, the largest city in the Ural region, is also where Wall Street Journal journalist Evan Gershkovich was arrested on spying charges nearly 12 months ago.

Following her initial arrest, Karelina was then accused of fundraising for a Ukrainian military cause. She is specifically accused of transferring $51.80 from an American bank account to Ukrainian charity, Razom.

Treason charges can carry penalties of up to 20 years in prison. Since 2023, 63 people have been charged with treason in Russia, 37 were found guilty.

‘The White House and State Department aware of reports that a dual U.S.-Russia citizen has been detained in Russia. We are working to obtain more information and secure consular access to the individual,’ a White House official told DailyMail.com.

The State Department currently has a Do Not Travel advisory to Russia specifically because of the risk of ‘wrongful detentions.’

On her Facebook page, Karelina says that she’s from Yekaterinburg and that she studied ballet at the S. P. Diaghilev school.

The dancer is accused of ‘proactively collecting funds since February 2022 in the interests of a Ukrainian organization, which were subsequently used to purchase tactical medicine, equipment, weapons and ammunition for the Armed Forces of Ukraine,’ the FSB alleges.

‘In addition, the citizen in question repeatedly took part in public actions in support of the Kyiv regime while in the United States,’ the agency added, reports The Moscow Times.

Russian language outlet Mediazona reports that Karelina has been a US citizen since 2021 and that in 2023 she married an American man.

Karelina graduated from Ural Federal University in 2013. Numerous posts on her Facebook page show her in Baltimore, Maryland, beginning in 2014.

Mediazona reports that Karelina was first arrested on charges of ‘petty hooliganism,’ for swearing. While in custody, those charges were upgraded to ‘high treason.’

The outlet goes on to report that Karelina ceased posting on the Russian social media site VK on November 3, 2021 after posting a series of photos showing her gaining citizenship.

On that profile, Karelina said that she studied at the University of Maryland in Baltimore.

Razom, the NYC-based Ukrainian charity that she’s accused of supporting, describes itself as ‘contributing to the establishment of a secure, prosperous, and democratic Ukraine.’

On her LinkedIn page, Karelina says that she works as a manager at Ciel Spa Beverly Hills, a role that she’s been in since 2019.

Karelina is the latest American behind bars in Russia, in addition to Gershkovich, former US Marine Paul Whelan and Texas dad David Barnes, 65, who last week was sentenced to 21 years in prison in Moscow on child abuse charges.

On the same day that Karelina’s arrest was announced, Gershkovich appeared in a Moscow court where he had his pre-trial detention extended.

Earlier this month, Putin told former Fox News host Tucker Carlson in an interview that he was open to the idea of releasing Americans held in Russian jails but did not discuss specifics.

‘I do not rule out that the person you refer to, Mr Gershkovich, may return to his motherland. We want the US special services to think about how they can contribute to achieving the goals our special services are pursuing,’ Putin told Carlson.

Numerous reports have suggested that Putin is interested in discussing an exchange involving Vadim Krasikov, the assassin responsible for the shooting of Chechen rebel Zelimkhan Khangoshvili in Berlin in 2019.

Karelina’s arrest comes as Putin faces heightened international pressure over the mysterious death of dissident Alexey Navalny in a Russian prison.

Western leaders and Navalny’s family have pointed their finger at the Kremlin following news of the activist’s death at 47 years old.

Go deeper ( 3 min. read ) ➝

UPDATE: 2 Adults Charged with Murder in Kansas City Super Bowl Parade Shooting

on

Missouri prosecutors said Tuesday that two men have been charged with murder in last week’s shooting that killed one person and injured 22 others after the Kansas City Chiefs’ Super Bowl parade.

Dominic Miller and Lyndell Mays are charged with second-degree murder and other counts. They have been hospitalized since the shooting, Jackson County prosecutor Jean Peters Baker said during a news conference. Officials declined to answer whether the men were being treated for gunshot wounds or other injuries.

Court records lay out a basic view of how the shooting unfolded.

The men did not know each other before the shooting, according to prosecutors. They were among several people arguing when Mays “pulled his handgun first almost immediately” and several others did the same, Peters Baker said. Police say it was Miller’s gun that fired the shot that killed a woman.

Online court records did not list attorneys who could comment on the men’s behalf. The Missouri State Public Defender’s Office said applications for public defenders for the men had not yet been received by the Kansas City office.

The new charges come after two juveniles were detained last week on gun-related and resisting arrest charges. Authorities said more charges were possible.

“I do want you to understand — we seek to hold every shooter accountable for their actions on that day. Every single one,” Peters Baker said. “So while we’re not there yet on every single individual, we’re going to get there.”

Police have said a dispute among several people led to the shooting, which happened even as 800 police officers patrolled the celebration.

The 22 people injured range in age from 8 to 47, according to police Chief Stacey Graves. Lisa Lopez-Galvan, a mother of two and the host of “Taste of Tejano,” was killed.

The shooting was the latest at a sports celebration in the U.S. A shooting wounded several people last year in Denver after the Nuggets’ NBA championship.

That led Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas to wonder whether it’s time to rethink championship celebrations, even as he promised last week that the city will continue to celebrate its victories. Next month’s St. Patrick’s Day parade will go on as scheduled, Lucas said.

The Kansas City shooting occurred in a state with few gun regulations and a city that has struggled with violence. In 2020, Kansas City was among nine cities chosen by the U.S. Justice Department in an effort to crack down on violent crime. In 2023, the city matched its record with 182 homicides, most of which involved guns.

On Monday, Missouri’s Republican-led House on a bipartisan vote passed a ban on celebratory gunfire in cities following debate that ranged from tearful to angry. A similar measure was passed last year as part of a sweeping crime-related bill, but GOP Gov. Mike Parson vetoed the legislation. He cited issues with other crime provisions in the bill unrelated to celebratory gunfire.

Go deeper ( 2 min. read ) ➝

NY Mayor Adams Handing Out $10,000 Gift Cards to Illegal Border Crossers

on

New York City Mayor Adams has initiated a controversial migrant aid program involving prepaid cash cards.

Unlike past announcements, this initiative was not directly publicized by the mayor’s office, which has subsequently avoided correcting public misunderstandings regarding the scheme for weeks.

At the heart of debate is the belief that the city is allocating $50 million exclusively for migrant aid.

This narrative, however, understates the program’s potential scale uncovered upon reviewing the detailed contract.

Experts have scrutinized the program’s lack of spending ceilings and absence of traditional safeguards. According to official documentation, eligible migrants could receive up to $10,000 per individual from this taxpayer-funded initiative.

The process, critical voices argue, omits essential ID verification, fails to impose specific usage constraints, and does not incorporate preventative measures against fraudulent activities.

Mayor Adams has yet to openly discuss the nuances of the program that could arguably transform into an expansive reservoir of unaccountable funds.

Read the full article.

Go deeper ( < 1 min. read ) ➝

WATCH: NYPD Sparks Outrage with Dance Team Performance Amid Crime Concerns

on

The New York City Police Department (NYPD) is under fire for promoting its dance team as residents raise concerns over a wave of migrant-involved crime.

The NYPD dance team performed on local television station PIX11 Thursday. The team, formed in 2022, describes itself as a group “staying mentally and physically well through dance” on social media.

The team has performed at various city events and schools, according to photos shared to its Instagram page.

Both community members and lawmakers criticized the team following its Thursday performance, arguing it represents misplaced priorities.

“Instead of stopping crime, watch us do the Macarena instead!” Brooklyn Libertarian Party secretary Christopher Skelly wrote on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter.

“It’s outrageous, it’s offensive, I think it’s offensive to taxpayers, I think it’s offensive to females in law enforcement,” former FBI agent Nicole Parker told Fox News. “At a time when violent crime is off the roof in New York City, this is not appropriate.”

Watch:

The dance team has defended its practices, writing on social media over the weekend it is “important to find an outlet to relieve stress.”

The controversy comes amid a number of migrant-involved crime incidents in New York City (NYC). Earlier this month, NYPD officers arrested a group of migrants in a raid of their residence. The raid was connected to a citywide migrant robbery ring, according to NYC officials.

That same week, video was released showing two individuals involved in the same ring dragging a 62-year-old woman across a street and into a metal pole.

On Tuesday, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officials arrested two migrant gang members suspected of assaulting NYPD officers. NYPD previously issued a “situational awareness alert” concerning the gang, urging National Guard members to check incoming migrants for distinguishing tattoos associated with the group.

NYC Mayor Eric Adams said this month offenses like those of the robbery ring will not be tolerated regardless of one’s immigration status.

“If they’re going to use organized methods to commit crimes, it just can’t happen,” Adams said. “This is not about the migrants and asylum seekers. This is about those who break the law.”

In a statement to The National Desk (TND) Monday, a spokesperson for NYPD said members of its dance team “purchase their own uniforms” and do not “practice while on duty.”

Go deeper ( 2 min. read ) ➝

News

Elon Musk: Neuralink’s First Patient Can Control Computer Mouse Just by Thinking

on

A patient implanted with Neuralink’s brain technology can now control a computer mouse just by thinking, the company’s founder Elon Musk said.

″[The] patient seems to have made a full recovery with no ill effects that we are aware of and is able to control the mouse, move the mouse around the screen just by thinking,” Musk said in a Spaces session on social media platform X.

Neuralink is the billionaire’s startup, which says it has developed a brain implant designed to help humans use their neural signals to control external technologies. The company aims to restore lost capabilities such as vision, motor function and speech.

Neuralink implanted its device in a human for the first time in January. The company uses a robot to accurately implant the device in the brain.

Musk, who is also the CEO of Tesla, said Neuralink is trying to get “as many button presses as possible from thinking” from the patient. He said this could include moving the computer mouse up and down to drag boxes on a screen.

Neuralink began recruiting patients for its first in-human clinical trial in the fall after it received approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to conduct the study back in May, according to a blog post.

The in-human clinical trial marks just one step down Neuralink’s path toward commercialization. Medical device companies must go through several rounds of intense data safety collection and testing before securing final approval from the FDA.

WATCH:

Go deeper ( < 1 min. read ) ➝

Men and Women’s Brains Do Work Differently, Scientists Discover for First Time

on

The brains of men and women operate differently, scientists have shown for the first time in a breakthrough that shows sex does matter in how people think and behave.

‌The issue of whether male and female brains are distinct has proven controversial, with some academics arguing it is society – rather than biology – that shapes divergence.

‌There has never been any definitive proof of difference in activity in the brains of men and women, but Stanford University has shown that it is possible to tell the sexes apart based on activity in “hotspot” areas.

‌They include the “default mode network”, an area of the brain thought to be the neurological centre for “self”, and is important in introspection and retrieving personal memories.

‌The limbic system is also implicated, which helps regulate emotion, memory and deals with sexual stimulation, and striatum, which is important in habit forming and rewards.

‌Experts said the brain differences could influence how males and females view themselves, how they interact with other people and how they recall past experiences.

‌Dr Vinod Menon, prof of psychiatry and behavioural sciences at Stanford, said: “This is a very strong piece of evidence that sex is a robust determinant of human brain organisation.”‌

“Our findings suggest that differences in brain activity patterns across these key brain regions contribute to sex-specific variations in cognitive functioning.”

However, she added that further research is needed to fully understand the implications of the findings.

‌It is well known that male and female chromosomes release sex-specific hormones in the brain, particularly in early development, puberty and during ageing.‌

There are also marked differences in how women and men perform in the real world.

Women tend to be better at reading comprehension and writing ability on average, and have good long term memory.

Conversely, men seem to have stronger visual and spatial awareness and better working memory.

‌Yet scientists have struggled to spot these differences in neural activity, with brain structures looking the same in men and women.‌

For the research, the team used “explainable AI” – a type of computer learning which can sift through vast amounts of data to explain why an effect is taking place.

‌The model was shown MRI scans of working brains and told whether it was looking at a woman or man. Over time, the neural network began to pick out subtle differences between the two sexes that had been missed by humans.

‌When the researchers tested the model on about 1,500 brain scans, the model was able to tell if the scan came from a woman or a man more than 90 per cent of the time.

‌Dr Gina Rippon, emeritus professor of cognitive neuroimaging at the Aston Brain Centre, and author of The Gendered Brain, has argued that society is to blame for brain differences in men and women.

‌Commenting on the study, she said: “The really intriguing issue is that those areas of the brain which are most reliably distinguishing the sexes are key parts of the social brain.

‌“The key issue is whether these differences are a product of sex-specific, biological influences, or of brain-changing gendered experiences. Or both. Are we really looking at sex differences? Or gender differences?

‌“Or, acknowledging that almost all brain–shaping factors are dynamically entangled products of both sex and gender influences, are we looking at what should be called sex/gender differences?”

‌Experts are hopeful that finding differences between male and female brains could be crucial in tackling neurological or psychiatric conditions that affect women and men differently.

‌For example, women are twice as likely as men to experience clinical depression while men are more at risk of drug and alcohol dependence and dyslexia. The brain areas discovered in the study are often associated with neurological disease.

‌Dr Menon added “A key motivation for this study is that sex plays a crucial role in human brain development, in ageing, and in the manifestation of psychiatric and neurological disorders.”

“Identifying consistent and replicable sex differences in the healthy adult brain is a critical step toward a deeper understanding of sex-specific vulnerabilities in psychiatric and neurological disorders.”

‌Researchers said the AI model could answer other important questions about brain connectivity, cognitive ability, or behaviour and will be making it publicly available for any researchers to use.

‌The findings were published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Go deeper ( 3 min. read ) ➝

News

BIG TECH GETS BIGGER: Magnificent 7 Profits Now Exceed Almost Every Country in World

on

The so-called “Magnificent 7” now wields greater financial might than almost every other major country in the world, according to new Deutsche Bank research.

The meteoric rise in the profits and market capitalizations of the Magnificent 7 U.S. tech behemoths — Apple, Amazon, Alphabet, Meta, Microsoft, Nvidia
    and Tesla — outstrip those of all listed companies in almost every G20 country, the bank said in a research note Tuesday. Of the non-U.S. G20 countries, only China and Japan (and the latter, only just) have greater profits when their listed companies are combined.

Deutsche Bank analysts highlighted that the Magnificent 7′s combined market cap alone would make it the second-largest country stock exchange in the world, double that of Japan in fourth. Microsoft and Apple, individually, have similar market caps to all combined listed companies in each of France, Saudi Arabia and the U.K, they added.

However, this level of concentration has led some analysts to voice concerns over related risks in the U.S. and global stock market.

Jim Reid, Deutsche Bank’s head of global economics and thematic research, cautioned in a follow-up note last week that the U.S. stock market is “rivalling 2000 and 1929 in terms of being its most concentrated in history.”

Deutsche analyzed the trajectories of all 36 companies that have been in the top five most valuable in the S&P 500 since the mid-1960s.

Reid noted that while big companies eventually tended to drop out of the top five as investment trends and profit outlooks evolved, 20 of the 36 that have populated that upper bracket are still in the top 50 today.

“Of the Mag 7 in the current top 5, Microsoft has been there for all but 4 months since 1997. Apple ever present since December 2009, Alphabet for all but two months since August 2012 and Amazon since January 2017. The newest entrant has been Nvidia which has been there since H1 last year,” he said.

Tesla had a run of 13 months in the top five most valuable companies in 2021/22 but is now down to 10th, with the share price having fallen by around 20% since the start of 2024. By contrast, Nvidia’s stock has continued to surge, adding almost 47% since the turn of the year.

“So, at the edges the Mag 7 have some volatility around the position of its members, and you can question their overall valuations, but the core of the group have been the largest and most successful companies in the US and with it the world for many years now,” Reid added.

Could the gains broaden out?

Despite a muted global economic outlook at the start of 2023, stock market returns on Wall Street were impressive, but heavily concentrated among the Magnificent Seven, which benefitted strongly from the AI hype and rate cut expectations.

In a research note last week, wealth manager Evelyn Partners highlighted that the Magnificent 7 returned an incredible 107% over 2023, far outpacing the broader MSCI USA index, which delivered a still healthy but relatively paltry 27% to investors.

Daniel Casali, chief investment strategist at Evelyn Partners, suggested that signs are emerging that opportunities in U.S. stocks could broaden out beyond the 7 megacaps this year for two reasons, the first of which is the resilience of the U.S. economy.

“Despite rising interest rates, company sales and earnings have been resilient. This can be attributed to businesses being more disciplined on managing their costs and households having higher levels of savings built up during the pandemic. In addition, the U.S. labour market is healthy with nearly three million jobs added during 2023,” Casali said.

The second factor is improving margins, which Casali said indicates that companies have adeptly raised prices and passed the impact of higher inflation onto customers.

“Although wages have risen, they haven’t kept pace with those price rises, leading to a decline in employment costs as a proportion of the price of goods and services,” Casali said.

“Factors, including China joining the World Trade Organisation and technological advances, have enabled an increased supply of labour and accessibility to overseas job markets. This has contributed to improving profit margins, supporting earnings growth. We see this trend continuing.”

When the market is so heavily weighted toward a small number of stocks and one particular theme — notably AI — there is a risk of missed investment opportunities, Casali said.

Many of the 493 other S&P 500 stocks have struggled over the past year, but he suggested that some could start to participate in the rally if the two aforementioned factors continue to fuel the economy.

“Given AI-led stocks’ stellar performance in 2023 and the beginning of this year, investors may feel inclined to continue to back them,” he said.

“But, if the rally starts to widen, investors could miss out on other opportunities beyond the Magnificent Seven stocks.”

Go deeper ( 3 min. read ) ➝

SBF’s First Jailhouse Photo Shows Him Skinny and Unkempt

on

A shaggy-haired and bearded Sam Bankman-Fried was pictured alongside a former Bloods gang member in the first jailhouse photo of the disgraced crypto kingpin after he was convicted of fraud.

Crypto crime reporter Tiffany Fong posted the image to YouTube on Monday, noting that the inmate next to the disgraced FTX boss is a gangster named G-Lock whom she had interviewed.

G Lock told Fong the photo was taken at the troubled Metropolitan Detention Center last Dec. 17 — six weeks after Bankman-Fried was found guilty on all seven fraud and conspiracy charges related to stealing $10 billion from users of his failed crypto exchange.

Bankman-Fried, who remains at the Brooklyn jail while awaiting sentencing on March 28, is seen wearing an oversized T-shirt and gym shorts alongside G Lock, who told Fong that the 31-year-old former billionaire is “a good guy. Weird as s–t, can be strange. But he is a good guy.”

The jail only allows inmates to be photographed around Christmas and Father’s Day.

G Lock also said that when he first met Bankman-Fried, he “had a belly, he was eating good. [Now] he’s skinny like a toothpick.”

Bankman-Fried’s defense attorney, Mark Cohen, had previously told a court that the crypto crook was “subsisting on bread and water and sometimes peanut butter” because the jail reportedly refused to serve him vegan meals.

G Lock also said that Bankman-Fried hasn’t been showering. When he first met him, he “was clean-shaven.”

“Now, scruffier than a motherf—er,” G Lock told Fong. “Full beard.”

“He’s not getting a shower, he’s not doing anything. He didn’t snitch on nobody, Sam is a gangster,” G Lock told Fong in an interview posted to YouTube earlier reported on by the Daily Mail.

“Sam is more gangster than Tekashi69, Sam Bankman stood on all ten toes. Tekashi ratted,” G Lock added, referencing the rapper, who was facing more than 40 years in prison for weapons and drug charges when he testified against his fellow gang members in exchange for a lighter sentence.

In better news, “nobody’s beating him up,” G Lock added of Bankman-Fried, who faces a sentence of as many as 110 years.

G Lock also called on President Biden to pardon Bankman-Fried.

His sentencing is set for March 28 — four months after he was found guilty on all seven fraud and conspiracy charges related to stealing $10 billion from users of his failed crypto exchange, as well as lying to lenders and investors.

The jury, comprised of nine women and three men, deliberated for just four hours before reaching a decision.

The former crypto golden boy’s conviction followed a month-long trial where Bankman-Fried made the rare and risky choice to testify in his own defense.

Go deeper ( 2 min. read ) ➝

News

Girls Basketball Team Forfeits Game After Trans Identifying Male Injures 3 Female Players

on

A high school girls basketball game ended in a forfeit at halftime after three girls suffered injuries in a match-up against a team that includes a male player who is six-feet tall and has facial hair.

The coach of a Massachusetts high school team, Collegiate Charter School of Lowell, ended the game early against KIPP Academy after numerous injuries, a press release from the charter school says, alluding to the school’s commitment to “inclusivity and safety.”

“The bench was already depleted going into the game with the 12-player roster having four players unable to play,” the press release reads. “When the coach saw three more girls go down in the first half leaving him with five players, he made the call to end the game early.”

“Once the third was injured, the remaining five expressed concern to him about continuing to play,” it continues. “The players feared getting injured and not being able to compete in the playoffs.”

The school added that it supports the coach’s decision to call the game, notably emphasizing its commitment to “inclusivity” and “equity.”

“The Charter School supports this decision and reiterates its values of both inclusivity and safety for all students,” the release adds. “We take the standards set by the MIAA and our Board of Trustees seriously and strive to uphold them on and off the court. We also follow the guidance from the MIAA and state laws regarding equity and access for all student-athletes.”

Video allegedly taken from the game has been posted online, showing a tall male appearing to injure a female player from Collegiate Charter.

“Trans-identified male player for Kipp Academy in MA injured 3 girls before half time causing Lowell Collegiate Charter School to forfeit,” Riley Gaines, a top collegiate swimmer-turned-girls sports advocate, captioned the video. “A man hitting a woman used to be called domestic abuse. Now it’s called brave. Who watches this & actually thinks this is ‘compassionate, kind, and inclusive’?”

WATCH:

According to a report from ItemLive, sources say the player in question is male and “more than 6 feet tall with facial hair.” However, KIPP officials are refusing to confirm the player’s “gender identity.”

The report also suggests that the charter school’s athletic director and coach knew KIPP’s team included a male player.

“Coach [Kevin Ortins] knew going into the game, already, because we had them at home the first game of the year and nothing happened then, so he knew going into the game,” Collegiate Charter Athletic Director Kyle Pelczar said.

Last year, Gaines and others testified before Congress about the risks associated with male athletes being permitted to play on girls and women’s teams.

“Not only do women have to worry about losing out on opportunities and being exploited in locker rooms, allowing men into women’s sports also puts girls at greater risk of injury,” Gaines testified. “In September of last year, North Carolina volleyball player Payton McNabb suffered serious injury after a trans-identified male player spiked a ball at her head, rendering her unconscious. Payton experienced extensive trauma to her head and neck and long-term concussion symptoms. Still to this day, a year and three-ish months later, she is still partially paralyzed on her right side, her vision is impaired, and she isn’t playing college sports, like she had dreamed of.”

Go deeper ( 3 min. read ) ➝

Biden Moves to Stop Israeli Offensive

on

The US said on Monday night that Israel’s planned invasion of Rafah “should not proceed under current circumstances” as it sought to use the UN to halt fighting.

Joe Biden is pushing for a United Nations vote on a “temporary ceasefire” in a break with the Israeli government as its troops prepare for an assault on the city, in south Gaza.

In a draft resolution, the US warns that a ground offensive into the city, where more than one million Palestinians are sheltering, would have “serious implications for regional peace and security”.

The move comes as Israel has rebuffed efforts by frustrated Western allies to call off its planned invasion of Rafah, the only remaining city controlled by Hamas.

It marks a departure from America’s initial position at the UN that Israel has the right to defend itself. Washington has twice vetoed council resolutions for a ceasefire in Gaza since the Hamas terror attack on Oct 7.

Mr Biden has raised concerns both privately and in public that Israel must create a plan to ensure the safety of the civilians sheltering in Rafah. US media reported that the president was considering a “breach” in the relationship with Israel.

US diplomats circulated its draft resolution on Monday after America rejected a rival Arab-backed vote for an end to fighting due to take place on Tuesday.

The US plan has not been scheduled for a vote, but is likely to be backed by the Security Council’s permanent members, including the UK.

It calls for a temporary ceasefire “as soon as practicable” alongside the lifting of blockades to aid delivery, and also demands Hamas releases all its hostages.

On Monday, Israel gave Hamas until March 10, the beginning of Ramadan, to hand over all hostages held in Gaza or it would order the ground assault on Rafah.

Around 1.4 million Palestinians, most of whom have been pushed from their homes in the north by Israel’s ground operations, are believed to be sheltering in the Gazan city on the Egyptian border.

On Monday, Benny Gantz, a member of the Israeli war cabinet, said: “To those saying the price [of an offensive] is too high, I say this very clearly: Hamas has a choice – they can surrender, release the hostages, and the citizens of Gaza will be able to celebrate the holy holiday of Ramadan.”

The Biden administration has reportedly urged Israel to finish the war by Ramadan, fearing that hostilities around the holiday could antagonise Muslims across the world.

It comes as international pressure on Israel continues to mount, with 26 out of 27 EU countries calling for an “immediate humanitarian pause that would lead to a sustainable ceasefire”.

Josep Borrell, the EU’s foreign policy chief, did not disclose which country had abstained, but Hungary reportedly blocked a similar initiative earlier.

Meanwhile, Sir Keir Starmer is under fierce pressure to back calls for an immediate ceasefire as he faces the threat of a fresh Labour rebellion over Gaza.

The party leader, who has been urged by Left-wing backbenchers to call for an end to the war, is braced for one of the toughest tests of his time in office on Wednesday when MPs vote for a second time on whether to support a truce.

He is widely expected to table his own amendment to an SNP motion in an attempt to see off a mutiny, but no final decision had been made as of Monday night.

The draft US text cited by Reuters urges “support for a temporary ceasefire in Gaza as soon as practicable”.

“Under current circumstances, a major ground offensive into Rafah would result in further harm to civilians and their further displacement including potentially into neighbouring countries,” it says, warning that the offensive was fraught with “serious implications for regional peace and security”.

The resolution would also reject “any actions by any party that reduce the territory of Gaza”, referring to the “buffer zone” Israel is building around the border area.

It was not immediately clear when or whether the draft resolution would be put to a vote in the 15-member council. To be adopted, a resolution needs at least nine votes in favour and no vetoes by the US, France, Britain, Russia or China.

The move appears to be a response to the move by Algeria on Saturday to request a Security Council vote later this week on its draft resolution demanding a ceasefire in Gaza.

Linda Thomas-Greenfield, the US ambassador to the UN, quickly signalled that it would be vetoed because it could jeopardise “sensitive negotiations” on hostages.

Unicef, the UN’s children’s agency, warned on Monday against the offensive as it called Rafah one of the most densely populated places on the planet. “They must be protected. They have no safe place to go,” it said.

Meanwhile, UN rights experts called for an independent investigation into alleged Israeli abuses targeted against Palestinian women and girls in the Gaza Strip and the West Bank, including killings, rapes and sexual assault.

The statement by the seven independent UN experts prompted an angry reaction from Israel, which rejected the “despicable and unfounded claims”.

Go deeper ( 3 min. read ) ➝

John Oliver Offers Clarence Thomas $2.4M Motor Coach Plus $1M a Year to Resign

on

Comedian and “Last Week Tonight” host John Oliver is urging Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas to resign, offering him $1 million per year to do so.

Oliver railed against the conservative justice during the 11th season premiere of his weekly show Sunday, saying Thomas had made the lives of Americans “demonstrably worse” and promising him a brand new luxury recreational vehicle if he agrees to step down from the high court.

“Lot on your plate right now. From stripping away women’s rights to hearing Jan. 6 cases, you definitely shouldn’t be hearing two potentially helping rollback decades of federal regulations,” he said.

“So that’s the offer. $1 million a year, Clarence. And a brand new condo on wheels. And all you have to do in return is sign the contract and get the f‑‑‑ off the Supreme Court,” Oliver added. “Talk it over with your totally best friend in the whole world. Because the clock starts now. Thirty days, Clarence … Let’s do this!”

The comedian’s bit was first highlighted by Mediaite.

Thomas has come under scrutiny from media outlets and ethics watchdogs in recent months after reporting by ProPublica found he had failed to disclose luxury trips and other benefits he received from conservative billionaire Harlan Crow.

“I think you’re thinking, what would my friend say if I take this offer? Will they judge me as they sit in their boardrooms and mega yachts and Hitler shrines? Will they still treat me to luxury vacations and sing songs about me off their phones?” Oliver said.

“Well, that’s the beauty of friendship, Clarence. If they’re real friends, they’ll love you no matter what your job is. So I guess this might be the perfect way to find out who your real friends actually are. ”

Go deeper ( 2 min. read ) ➝

Houthis Sink British Belize Cargo Ship in Red Sea: Report

on

A missile attack by Yemen’s Houthi rebels that damaged a Belize-flagged ship traveling through the Bab el-Mandeb Strait that connects the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden has forced the crew to abandon the vessel, authorities said Monday. Another ship reportedly came twice under attack in the Gulf of Aden.

The Iran-backed Houthis also claimed they shot down an American MQ-9 Reaper drone, something not immediately acknowledged by U.S. forces in the region. However, the Houthis have downed U.S. drones before.

Meanwhile, the U.S. military said it was conducting new airstrikes targeting the rebels, including one that targeted the first Houthi underwater drone seen since they began launching attacks on international shipping in November.

The ship targeted in the Houthi attack on Sunday reported sustaining damage after “an explosion in close proximity to the vessel,” the British military’s United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations center reported.

“Military authorities report crew have abandoned the vessel,” the UKMTO said. “Vessel at anchor and all crew are safe.”

Houthi Brig. Gen. Yahya Saree issued a statement claiming the attack, saying the vessel later sunk.

There was no independent confirmation the vessel sank.

“The ship suffered catastrophic damages and came to a complete halt,” Saree said. “During the operation, we made sure that the ship’s crew exited safely.”

The private security firm Ambrey reported the British-registered, Lebanese-operated cargo ship had been on its way to Bulgaria after leaving Khorfakkan in the United Arab Emirates.

Ship-tracking data from MarineTraffic.com analyzed by The Associated Press identified the vessel targeted as the Rubymar. Its Beirut-based manager could not be reached for comment.

The Houthis later also identified the ship as the Rubymar, as did the U.S. military’s Central Command.

Central Command said the attack involved two anti-ship ballistic missiles, which saw one struck the Rubymar.

Ambrey described the ship as being partially laden with cargo, but it wasn’t immediately clear what it had been carrying. The ship had turned off its Automatic Identification System tracker while in the Persian Gulf early this month.

Later Monday, the UKMTO and Ambrey said a second vessel came under attack in the Gulf of Aden. Ambrey described the vessel as a Greek-flagged, U.S.-owned bulk carrier bound for Aden, Yemen, and carrying grain from Argentina. The same ship then came under attack again, later in the day.

Those details, combined with ship-tracking data, identified the vessel as the Sea Champion. Its managers could not be immediately reached. The Houthis later claimed the attack, but instead said it targeted a second vessel other than the Sea Champion in that assault.

Late Monday, the UKMTO and Ambrey reported a suspected Houthi drone attack targeting a ship off Djibouti in the Bab el-Mandeb Strait. UKMTO described the vessel as sustaining “superficial damage.”

Since November, the rebels have repeatedly targeted ships in the Red Sea and surrounding waters over Israel’s war targeting Hamas in the Gaza Strip. They have frequently targeted vessels with tenuous or no clear links to Israel, imperiling shipping in a key route for trade among Asia, the Mideast and Europe. Those vessels have included at least one with cargo for Iran, its main benefactor.

In a separate attack, Saree also claimed that Houthi forces shot down an MQ-9 drone near Yemen’s port city of Hodeida on the Red Sea. He offered no evidence for the claim.

The Houthi “air defenses were able to shoot down an American plane — MQ-9 — with a suitable missile while it was carrying out hostile missions against our country on behalf of the Zionist entity,” Saree said.

The U.S. military did not immediately confirm the loss of any drones in the region. However, the Houthis have surface-to-air missile systems capable of shooting down high-flying American drones. In November, the Pentagon acknowledged the loss of an MQ-9, shot down by the rebels over the Red Sea.

Since Yemen’s Houthi rebels seized the country’s north and its capital of Sanaa in 2014, the U.S. military has lost four drones to shootdowns by the rebels — in 2017, 2019 and this year.

Meanwhile, the U.S. military’s Central Command reported it carried out five airstrikes targeting Houthi military equipment. Those strikes targeted mobile anti-ship cruise missiles, an explosive-carrying drone boat and an “unmanned underwater vessel,” Central Command said.

“This is the first observed Houthi employment of a UUV since attacks began in Oct. 23,” Central Command said.

Go deeper ( 3 min. read ) ➝

Haiti’s Ex-First Lady Indicted in Her Husband’s 2021 Assassination

on

A judge in Haiti responsible for investigating the July 2021 assassination of President Jovenel Moïse has indicted his widow, Martine Moïse, ex-prime minister Claude Joseph and the former chief of Haiti’s National Police, Léon Charles, among others, according to a report obtained Monday.

The indictments are expected to further destabilize Haiti as it struggles with a surge in gang violence and recovers from a spate of violent protests demanding the resignation of current Prime Minister Ariel Henry.

Dozens of suspects were indicted in the 122-page report issued by Walther Wesser Voltaire, who is the fifth judge to lead the investigation after previous ones stepped down for various reasons, including fear of being killed.

Charles, who was police chief when Moïse was killed and now serves as Haiti’s permanent representative to the Organization of the American States, faces the most serious charges: murder; attempted murder; possession and illegal carrying of weapons; conspiracy against the internal security of the state; and criminal association.

Meanwhile, Joseph and Martine Moïse, who was injured in the attack, are accused of complicity and criminal association.

Charles could not be immediately reached for comment, and Martine Moïse’s attorney did not return a message for comment,

Meanwhile, Joseph, the former prime minister, shared a statement with The Associated Press accusing Henry of “undermining” the investigation and benefitting from the president’s death.

“Henry … is weaponizing the Haitian justice system, prosecuting political opponents like me. It’s a classic coup d’état,” Joseph said. “They failed to kill me and Martine Moïse on July 7th 2021, now they are using the Haitian justice system to advance their Machiavellian agenda.”

Joseph again called on Henry to resign and noted that while he was still prime minister, he invited the FBI to help local authorities investigate the killing and wrote the U.N. and OAS for help.

“I won’t stop my fight. Justice must be served,” he said.

In his report, the judge noted that the former secretary general of the National Palace, Lyonel Valbrun, told authorities that he received “strong pressure” from Martine Moïse to put the president’s office at the disposal of Joseph because he needed it to “organize a council of ministers.”

Valbrun also said that two days before her husband was killed, Martine Moïse visited the National Palace and spent nearly five hours, from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m., removing “a bunch of things.”

He said that two days after Jovenel Moïse was slain, Martine Moïse called to tell him that, “Jovenel didn’t do anything for us. You have to open the office. The president told Ti Klod to create a council of ministers; he will hold elections in three months so I can become president, now we will have power.”

While the document did not identify Ti Klod, the former prime minister, Claude Joseph, is known by that name.

The judge also stated in his report that Martine Moïse “suggested” she took refuge under the marital bed to protect herself from the attackers, but he noted that authorities at the scene found that not “even a giant rat…whose size measures between 35 and 45 centimeters” could fit under the bed.

The judge said the former first lady’s statements were “so tainted with contradictions that they leave something to be desired and discredit her.”

Others who face charges including murder are Christian Emmanuel Sanon, a Haitian-American pastor who visualized himself as Haiti’s next president and said he thought Moïse was only going to be arrested; Joseph Vincent, a Haitian-American and former informant for the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration; Dimitri Hérard, presidential security chief; John Joël Joseph, a former Haitian senator; and Windelle Coq, a Haitian judge whom authorities say is a fugitive.

Sanon, Vincent and Joseph were extradited to the U.S., where a total of 11 suspects face federal charges in the slaying of Haiti’s president. At least three of them already have been sentenced.

Meanwhile, more than 40 suspects are languishing in prison in Haiti awaiting trial, although it was not immediately clear how quickly one would be held following Monday’s indictments. Among them are 20 former Colombian soldiers.

Milena Carmona, wife of Jheyner Alberto Carmona Flórez, told The Associated Press that he is innocent.

“What’s happening is that this crime is a conspiracy of great magnitudes in which powerful people are behind the scenes running everything, and that’s why they’re not given freedom,” she said of the former soldiers.

Go deeper ( 3 min. read ) ➝

WATCH: Madonna Crashes to Stage Mid-Song in Seattle Concert Mishap

on

She backed up to the beat a little too far.

Madonna shocked her Seattle audience over the weekend when the Queen of Pop toppled over while in a chair during one of her performances at Climate Pledge Arena.

In a video obtained by TMZ, the incident occurred when the mononymous singer, 65, sat on a chair during her performance of “Open Your Heart,” and a dancer then attempted to drag the chair down a long section of the stage.

However, the cool bit of choreography failed when the dancer seemingly lost control of the chair, causing them both to fall over on their backs.

Seemingly stunned by the mishap, the “Material Girl” songstress was spotted momentarily lying on the ground before hopping to her feet and resuming the show as if nothing had happened.

Several X users took to the social media site to express their shock over the gaffe.

“Somebody getn fired,” one user joked.

“Grandma is gonna be sore in the morning,” sneered a second person.

“This guy will never be remembered for anything other than the fact that he took down Madonna,” a third user chided.

In a video posted to TikTok, Madonna appeared to smile as she looked up at the dancer after the mishap, as several other users commented about how she seemed to have just laughed off the incident.

“She laughed. 20 years ago she would sacked him on the spot!! 😂 love her,” one fan said.

“At least she laughed & has a sense of humor,” responded a second person.

This is not the first time that the chairs used in the “Like a Virgin” hitmaker’s “Celebration” tour have caused trouble.

It was reported by TMZ that Madge might have been placed on Santa Claus’ naughty list after a man dressed as the Christmas icon took a tumble while receiving a lap dance from one of the singer’s dancers during the Washington, DC, stop of her highly anticipated tour in December.

Madonna herself has been the subject of previous nasty falls, her most memorable one being at the 2015 Brit Awards — the UK version of the Grammys — when the singer, who was performing her tune “Living for Love,” actually fell off the stage.

The singer’s huge cape, which appeared to get snagged by one of her dancers, pulled the then-56-year-old backward and caused her to tumble down a mini flight of stairs

The sound of her hitting the ground was audible and sent gasps around the 02 arena, which holds 20,000.

Despite her injury, though, Madonna once again continued with her matador-themed performance, and the crowd screamed their appreciation.

Following the Brit Awards performance, the “Evita” actress took to Instagram to explain what happened.

“My beautiful cape was tied too tight!” she wrote, noting that it was by Armani. “But nothing can stop me and love really lifted me up! Thanks for your good wishes! I’m fine!”

Go deeper ( 2 min. read ) ➝

Student Arrested After 2 Found Dead in Colorado College Dorm

on

Police have released a mugshot of the 25-year-old man arrested over the murders of a single mother and a student who were gunned down in a Colorado college dorm last week.

Nicholas Jordan, from Detroit, is accused of shooting Celie Rain Montgomery, 26, from Pueblo, Colorado, and Sam Knopp, 24, from Parker, Colorado, on Friday at Crestone House on the UCCS campus.

Colorado Springs Police Department said Jordan was detained ‘without incident’ at Cliff Point Circle East in a vehicle in the city at 8.37am on Monday.

‘Investigative efforts continue to indicate this was an isolated incident between individuals who were known to one another and not a random attack against the school or other students at the university,’ the department said.

Montgomery was a single mother to two daughters aged five and seven, according to a Facebook post by a heartbroken relative responding to her death, while Knopp was a gifted music student. It’s unclear what their relation was.

Jordan is being held at the El Paso County Jail charged with two counts of murder in the first degree.

He was booked after members of Colorado Springs PD’s Motor Vehicle Theft Unit located him in a vehicle on Monday morning, police said.

‘At this point in our investigation, this incident does not appear to be a murder-suicide and both deaths are being investigated as homicides,’ the department said previously.

The coroner’s office will determine how they died, but each person was shot at least once in what appeared to be an ‘isolated incident,’ police spokesperson Ira Cronin said at a briefing.

Knopp, was a senior studying music at the university and said to be a beloved member of the Visual and Performing Arts department. He was an accomplished guitar player and an extremely talented musician.

Meanwhile, Montgomery worked as a freelance copywriter specializing in health and wellness. She was not a student at the university.

A lockdown across campus lasted for about 90 minutes and later was isolated to Crestone House, a student apartment complex on campus, school spokesperson Chris Valentine said.

When police officers got to the room at around 6am Friday, they found Knopp and Montgomery both dead, having been shot in the head.

Following the lockdown, the campus about 70 miles south of Denver remained closed for the day.

Knopp’s mother, Amy, shared her concerns online just as the shooting was taking place.

‘There were reports of an active shooter on campus at UCCS where our son, Sam, is a senior. At least one person is dead,’ she wrote.

‘I haven’t heard from Sam. He lives in Alpine Village, where residents were told to shelter in place. The campus is in lockdown and is now closed today.

‘PLEASE EXCUSE MY LANGUAGE BUT IT’S THE GODDAMNED GUNS! This hits way too close to home and it makes me want to vomit. All the ‘thoughts and prayers’ in the world mean nothing without action to back them up.’

Once it became clear her son was one of the victims, there followed messages of condolence.

‘I’m so sorry for your loss and praying so hard for you and your family,’ wrote Brittany Craig.

‘Amy my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. My heart is broken my condolences,’ said Diane Sigl.

‘I’m so sorry Amy, I am angry and heartbroken we lost Sam,’ added Elsa Ge.

‘Given this case’s active and fluid nature, additional information about those leads and any potential suspect details will not be released at this time,’ a press release from the police department read.

‘While acknowledging the difficulty of the situation and the withholding of information in the initial stages of the investigation, we owe it to the victims and their families to deliver accountability and justice for this horrific act,’ police said.

‘These are the third and fourth homicides in the City of Colorado Springs this year. At this time last year, there were two homicides.’

The campus was also closed over the weekend but walk-in counseling was offered at the wellness center on both days, the university said.

The university has said that classes will be cancelled on Monday but walk-in counseling will also be offered together with spaces on campus being open to offering food and support.

Go deeper ( 3 min. read ) ➝

Milei Delivers Argentina’s First Monthly Budget Surplus in 12 Years

on

The Argentine government in January saw its first monthly budget surplus in nearly 12 years, as new President Javier Milei continues to push for strong spending cuts, the Economy Ministry announced.

January was the first full month in office for Milei, a libertarian who took office in December, and it ended with a positive balance for public-sector finances of $589 million at the official exchange rate, the government said late Friday.

The figure includes payment of interest on the public debt.

It is “the first (monthly) financial surplus since August 2012, and the first surplus for a January since 2011,” the Economy Ministry said, according to the official Telam news agency.

Milei has been negotiating with the International Monetary Fund over its $44 billion loan and has vowed to achieve balance in public finances this year.

“The zero deficit is not negotiable,” Economy Minister Luis Caputo said Friday on X, the former Twitter.

Milei, an economist, has advocated sharp cuts in spending and a reduction of public debt on the way to a dollarization of the economy.

Following a 50 percent devaluation of the peso, a lifting of price controls and strong rate increases, Argentina saw an inflation rate for January of 20.6 percent, with a 12-month rate of 254.2 percent.

The year 2023, the final year of the center-left government of Alberto Fernandez, ended with a 211 percent inflation rate.

With poverty affecting 45 percent of the population, Milei has predicted an economic rebound within three months.

Go deeper ( < 1 min. read ) ➝

Largest COVID Vaccine Study Yet Finds Links to Brain, Heart Problems

on

Covid Vaccines were linked to small increases in neurological, blood, and heart-related conditions in the largest global vaccine safety study to date, Bloomberg reported.

The rare events — identified early in the pandemic — included a higher risk of heart-related inflammation from mRNA shots made by Pfizer Inc., BioNTech SE, and Moderna Inc., and an increased risk of a type of blood clot in the brain after immunization with viral-vector vaccines such as the one developed by the University of Oxford and made by AstraZeneca Plc.

The viral-vector jabs were also tied to an increased risk of Guillain-Barre syndrome, a neurological disorder in which the immune system mistakenly attacks the peripheral nervous system.

More than 13.5 billion doses of Covid vaccines have been administered globally over the past three years. Still, a small proportion of people immunized were injured by the shots, stoking debate about their benefits versus harms.

The new research, by the Global Vaccine Data Network, was published in the journal Vaccine last week, with the data made available via interactive dashboards to show methodology and specific findings.

The research looked for 13 medical conditions that the group considered “adverse events of special interest” among 99 million vaccinated individuals in eight countries, aiming to identify higher-than-expected cases after a Covid shot. The use of aggregated data increased the possibility of identifying rare safety signals that might have been missed when looking only at smaller populations.

Myocarditis, or inflammation of the heart muscle, was consistently identified following a first, second and third dose of mRNA vaccines, the study found. The highest increase in the observed-to-expected ratio was seen after a second jab with the Moderna shot. A first and fourth dose of the same vaccine was also tied to an increase in pericarditis, or inflammation of the thin sac covering the heart.

Safety Signals

Researchers found a statistically significant increase in cases of Guillain-Barre syndrome within 42 days of an initial Oxford-developed ChAdOx1 or “Vaxzevria” shot that wasn’t observed with mRNA vaccines. Based on the background incidence of the condition, 66 cases were expected — but 190 events were observed.

ChAdOx1 was linked to a threefold increase in cerebral venous sinus thrombosis, a type of blood clot in the brain, identified in 69 events, compared with an expected 21. The small risk led to the vaccine’s withdrawal or restriction in Denmark and multiple other countries. Myocarditis was also linked to a third dose of ChAdOx1 in some, but not all, populations studied.

Possible safety signals for transverse myelitis — spinal cord inflammation — after viral-vector vaccines were identified in the study. So was acute disseminated encephalomyelitis — inflammation and swelling in the brain and spinal cord — after both viral-vector and mRNA vaccines.

Seven cases of acute disseminated encephalomyelitis after vaccination with the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine were observed, versus an expectation of two.

The adverse events of special interest were selected based on pre-established associations with immunization, what was already known about immune-related conditions and pre-clinical research. The study didn’t monitor for postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome, or POTS, that some research has linked with Covid vaccines.

Exercise intolerance, excessive fatigue, numbness and “brain fog” were among common symptoms identified in more than 240 adults experiencing chronic post-vaccination syndrome in a separate study conducted by the Yale School of Medicine. The cause of the syndrome isn’t yet known, and it has no diagnostic tests or proven remedies.

The Yale research aims to understand the condition to relieve the suffering of those affected and improve the safety of vaccines, said Harlan Krumholz, a principal investigator of the study, and director of the Yale New Haven Hospital Center for Outcomes Research and Evaluation.

“Both things can be true,” Krumholz said in an interview. “They can save millions of lives, and there can be a small number of people who’ve been adversely affected.”

Go deeper ( 3 min. read ) ➝

News

UPDATE: Minnesota Mass Shooter Identified

on

Shannon Cortez Gooden, a painter and felon with a history of domestic violence-related accusations, is the suspect accused of shooting two Burnsville, Minnesota, police officers and a paramedic to death, according to multiple Minnesota news reports.

Gooden’s name was first reported by the Minnesota news site Alpha News. KARE11 and WCCO, both Minnesota television stations, have since confirmed that Gooden is the deceased Burnsville shooting suspect.

Authorities have yet to identify the shooter in the deaths of the three first responders. The City of Burnsville identified the victims in a news release emailed to Heavy as police officers Paul Elmstrand and Matthew Ruge and firefighter/paramedic Adam Finseth.

Public records show Cortez Gooden with an address in the 1200 block of 33rd Avenue South in Burnsville, Minnesota. That’s the same address given for the shooting in the city’s news release. A felony conviction barred him from possessing weapons, court records show, and he failed in an attempt to get his firearm rights restored. He also has a history of domestic violence accusations.

In addition, a friend of Gooden’s wrote in a tribute on Facebook, “Man I swear this [expletive] can’t be true Shannon Gooden we was my big bro all I can do is cry 😢 I can’t believe u are gone.”

Finseth was an Iraq war veteran, according to a tribute on Facebook. Elmstrand got his start in a law enforcement explorers’ program and served on the police Honor Guard, a press release from the City of Burnsville indicates. Ruge was a trained crisis negotiator, according to the release.

Minnesota Governor Tim Walz wrote on X, “Horrific news from Burnsville. While responding to a call of a family in danger, two police officers and one firefighter lost their lives, and other officers were injured.”

Here’s what you need to know:

1. Shannon Cortez Gooden Was First Named as the Shooter by Alpha News, the Site Which Published the Documentary ‘The Fall of Minneapolis’

According to Alpha News, Shannon Cortez Gooden is the gunman. KARE11, a Minneapolis television station, later confirmed that information through multiple law enforcement sources and neighbors, as did WCCO.

“Several sources have identified Shannon Cortez Gooden, 38, as the deceased suspect in the shooting today that killed 2 Burnsville police officers and a fire medic. He petitioned to have his gun rights restored in 2020 in relation to a 2008 felony assault conviction,” the site wrote on X.

The X page CrimeWatchMPLS also reported that Gooden was the deceased gunman. “We’ve received the same info from other sources. Information during the Burnsville standoff this morning also indicated that Shannon was wanted or was to be arrested for 2nd degree criminal sexual conduct,” the site wrote on X. That information has not been verified by authorities either.

The friend who posted about Gooden added in another post, “Shannon why boo why u leave like this boo I can’t believe this u was a solid one I love u 😘 so much my love bug.” The friend linked to a Facebook page for Gooden that matched the employment details in the gun rights petition. Several people who commented mentioned that Gooden is accused of being the police shooter.

Alpha News is the site that published a documentary called “The Fall of Minneapolis” that featured an interview with incarcerated Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin, who was convicted of the 2020 murder of George Floyd.

2. Shannon Gooden Filed a Petition in 2020 Seeking to Have His Gun Rights Restored

Shannon Gooden’s “restoration of Firearm rights” petition says he filed a request to be able to carry a gun in 2020 in the County of Dakota.

It says that he “requests that the Court restore his gun rights. This motion is made on the grounds that Mr. Gooden has been released from physical confinement and that there is good cause for the court to grant this motion.”

The request was denied, according to Minnesota court records.

According to the document, “because of the age of the crime coupled with the fact that Mr. Gooden has clearly been rehabilitated, it is in the interest of justice for the court to grant this motion.” It is signed by attorney Mathew K. Higbee.

The petition says the action “arises out of a case from 2008 in which Mr. Gooden was convicted” of assault in the second degree with a dangerous weapon in Minnesota.

He “has taken significant steps to prove his value as a productive and law-abiding citizen,” other than misdemeanor traffic offenses, it says. It says that Minnesota wanted to be able to “protect not only himself but his family as well.”

His Minnesota court history includes a 2022 child support case, civil actions and orders of protection filed against him, and an assault with a dangerous weapon conviction. That case says a charge of terroristic threats was dismissed.

According to KARE 11, in 2017, his child’s mother accused Gooden of having “head-butted her face — causing a concussion and black eye — and threw her down the stairs,” but she didn’t show up for the court hearing. Another woman who is the mother to Gooden’s children accused him of having “cut her clothes with a knife, causing her to fall down the stairs,” KARE 11 reported, but the accusations were deemed unproven.

In the 2008 conviction, according to KARE 11, Gooden was accused of having “pulled out a 7-inch knife during a fight at a shopping center then threw rocks at a woman’s car.”

3. Shannon Cortez Gooden Shared the Quote on Facebook, ‘You’ll Never Take Me Alive, I’m a Tiger’ & Posted a Video of Target Shooting in a Garage

The photo of Gooden used by Alpha News comes from his X page. “I’m loyal to the ones I love,” it says, adding that he is from Lakeville, Minnesota. There are no posts on the page, which has three followers and a cover photo showing cash and baseball hats.

The gun petition says Gooden completed anger management courses, a parenting course, and earned an associate degree at Dakota Technical College in Rosemount, Minnesota as well as working at a collision shop in Rosemount, it says.

Gooden had not updated his Facebook page since 2018. It shows him at a Burnsville shopping center and with kids. In 2014, he wrote on Facebook, “My new clear gun, this will be my third iwata supernova. But this one is a WS not a LS meaning it’s now a complain gun they just came out this last December / faster / wetter looking finish / and they spray at 2bar that’s like 30 psi. The LS sprayed a 19 psi and it was a HVLP to slow for clear.”

That same year he posted the quote, “You’ll never take me alive, I’m a tiger.” The Facebook page also contains a video showing a man with a gun in a garage and the caption, “Shooting with (a woman’s) prescription glasses.” A similar video read, “Back in day target shooting.” It shows a man with a gun in the garage.

“I’m picturing a white person,” he says in one of those videos, which is still visible on his Facebook page.

In 2014, he wrote, “I’m so grateful. One year outta school and already a painter. I worked hard for this sh** and ain’t nobody gone take it from meh. Next month is my year review and I asked for 15.50 commission hours cause that’s what I’m worth as a entry level painter.” That same year, he also wrote, “At the crib getting drunk alone, first sign of depression ha.”

In 2013, he wrote, “I’m so sick of people posting sh** about Barack Obama, Just negative shit negative sh** negative sh&&. how well would you control the United States. Most of the critics are stay-at-home moms let’s just say hypothetically your husband leaves your dumb a** and you’ve never worked a day in your life; You been living off your husband, and he decides to leaves you with nothing and then you got no choice but to go on welfare/food stamp ….. In that case would you be thankful for the government.”

Go deeper ( 5 min. read ) ➝

At Least Dozen Dead in Northern Mexico Shootout Near Texas Border

on

At least 12 alleged cartel members were killed by the Mexican army in a shootout near the border with the United States, according to officials.

The soldiers were on patrol in the municipality of Miguel Aleman, along the Texas border, when they were attacked by ‘armed civilians hiding in the bush,’ Tamaulipas state’s security agency said in a statement published on X.

The agency did not respond to questions about whether any soldiers were killed or injured in the Sunday shootout.

The gunmen who attacked the soldiers were alleged members of a drug cartel, AFP reported.

Officials said they seized 12 long weapons, cartridges and magazines of various calibers.

The state of Tamaulipas has various organized crime groups, whose main activities include human smuggling and drug trafficking, authorities say.

The army reportedly used drones and a helicopter in the operation.

No additional information has been released, and no group has claimed responsibility for the attack as of Monday.

Last September a gang of armed men attacked a convoy of vehicles that were crossing to Roma, Texas, from Miguel Aleman, injuring three people, including Americans.

The State Department issued a Do Not Travel alert for Tamaulipas last year.

Last month Mexican marines detained one of the top leaders of the Gulf drug cartel, the gang that kidnapped four Americans and killed two of them in March 2023.

The four Americans crossed into the border city of Matamoros from Texas so that one of them could have cosmetic surgery. They were fired on in downtown Matamoros and then loaded into a pickup truck.

Americans Zindell Brown and Shaeed Woodard died in the attack; Eric Williams and Latavia McGee survived. Most of them had grown up together in the small town of Lake City, South Carolina.

A Mexican woman, Areli Pablo Servando, 33, was also killed, apparently by a stray bullet.

Go deeper ( 2 min. read ) ➝

News

California Dems Introduce Bill to Force Insurance Companies to Disclose Which Homeowners Have Guns

on

A bill introduced Friday by California Assembly Member Mike Gipson (D) would force insurance companies to provide lawmakers with an annual report highlighting homeowners with guns in their residence.

The bill, AB 3067, says: “This bill would require an insurer, by January 1, 2026, to include questions on an application for homeowners’ or renters’ insurance seeking specified information regarding the presence and storage of any firearms kept in the household, accessory structures, or vehicles kept on the property subject to any applicable insurance policy.”

It continues: “The bill would require an insurer to annually report this information to the Department of Insurance and the Legislature beginning on January 1, 2027, and would prohibit the inclusion of confidential identifying information in the report.”

The bill then provides step-by-step instructions that insurers would be required to follow in order to obtain the information being sought by Assembly Member Gipson and his principal co-author, state Sen. Catherine Blakespear (D):

In addition to existing regulations, an application for homeowners’ or renters’ insurance shall include questions regarding all of the following:

(1) Whether there are firearms kept in the household, including in any accessory structures, and if so, how many.

(2) Whether the firearm, if any, is stored in a locked container in the home, including any accessory structures, while not in use.

(3) The number of firearms kept in a vehicle located on the property subject to the applicable insurance policy, and if any, whether they are stored securely in a locked container while not in use.

AB 3067 is now pending referral to a committee for continuance.

Go deeper ( < 1 min. read ) ➝